Monday, August 22, 2016

Week 59 Contacting Stories

So this week was just fun of little fun stories.  I will start with a member named Martina.

So we were contacting an area that is super poor.  Like houses made of sticks and mud.  Like the mud still has like pieces of grass stuck in it.  And everyone kept asking us if we were looking for someone named Martina and i was like uhh no.  I'm looking for you guys! haha so after we finally went and knocked on the door of this Martina.  I didn't know if it was a member or an old investigator or what. So we went there and she comes strolling out and she sees us and just gets super angry.  She is an old lady and apparently got really sick and no one came to help her.  So she said that we aren't allowed to come when she is healthy because no one came when she was sick.  And she goes, "unless you bring me food I will not receive you guys here" and slams her little wooden stick door.  I was afraid her house was going to break.  My comp just looked at me like what do we do.  I was like "didn't you hear her? She wants food! So we ran and bought some bread and a juice and went back!! She sees the food and just starts smiling soooo hard and laughing and brings out to buckets to sit on.  And she told us her story and how she got baptized like 2 years ago and then went to the temple a year ago and then got sick and almost died.  But now she loves us.  We went and did service in her house cutting her lawn with a machete.  Which is harder than it sounds hahaha walked away with a nice blister and a great friend named Martina who even went to church the next Sunday after about 6 months without going!!! We went and got her and we were 30 minutes late to church because of how slow she walks but we went!

Then a really awesome experience that Santacruz and I had contacting.  It was Monday night at like 8 40.  We were both just tired and we were debating just going to the house early.  I told him that we need to knock on 5 doors more and then we can go home.  We knock on 4 really fast and everyone was rude and didn't want anything to do with us and we were even more ready to go home.  Then we turn the corner and we see a lady sitting on her porch under her porch light doing nothing.  I look and my companion and jokingly tell him that she is ready to be baptized.  We went and she was literally golden.  Just full of questions.  Questions like "what is the true church of God" "where can I find it and how" and "what is the Book of Mormon" so we went and taught her the lesson about the restoration.  She was like "wow, I love it all" and then we went another day and loved it.  Then she even went to church with us yesterday with her best friend!!  I am just speechless!! She is amazing. Her name is Gisenia and she is just great!!

And another story is that we have a family that we are teaching and they invited us to help them build a wall, also out of mud and sticks.  So we went on Tuesday.  we get there and the dad was like "you're right on time, I just got back with the CocaCola" so I was like right on haha we basically just talked the whole time and didn't build anything.  The wife said something really cool. She told us that never had the missionaries been able to build a relationship with the dad before but with us we are joking around and just having a good time.  Shout out to my magic card tricks by the way hahaha and the dad goes "I want you all to know that my house is open for you at any time of the day and any day." and he says that he and his whole family will go to church with us this Sunday!  It was a really great teaching opportunity for my kid because I was able to show him that being a missionary doesn't just mean showing up and teaching but really getting to know them and love them so that our message is more personal to them.  Our whole purpose is to find the need of every investigator and if we just show up and teach without knowing them, how will we ever find the need?? A great moment for sure!

Other than that we had a good week. Our baptism fell again which is frustrating and I don't think he will be baptized this Saturday either but we will see.  We are working a ton.  Like a ton.  My poor kid is just dead everyday all day but at least he will learn how to work hard and have fun!

I love you all!
Elder Garry



 Ivette

No comments:

Post a Comment