Monday, August 29, 2016

Week 60 How beautiful is the doctrine of Christ

This week was a good one for sure.  I have some more fun stories and some sketchy stories so I hope you all enjoy.

So this week we got to visit our golden investigator who we found underneath a lamp post at night a few times.  Each time gradually got crazier and crazier.  The first time was great, we went, got to talk to her about how she liked church and it was really normal.  talked about baptism a bit more and she didnt understand why she had to be baptized again so we explained it and she was like oh okay yeah i got it.  So it was chill.

Then the next time we went, her and her whole family tree were all hanging out at her house so that was exciting.  Usually I try to avoid circumstances where there are a lot of people because they always just try to tag team on us and try to bible bash and it just really isn't a good experience.  So we were about to head out and then her friend basically just challenges us in front of everyone and says, "salvation is personal, so then why do you baptize for dead people and get sealed to dead people".  I was just like ughhh I really don't want to have to explain this really deep doctrine in front of like 6 people who are all very very crazy religious in their churches.  So I was like okay I wanted to back out and then the guy goes "no, tell me why you think that" and he was angry.  And I was just chilling in my seat with some Cheetos and a coca cola in my hands and I was like I just don't know what to do.  Fast back to like an hour earlier.  We had gone to the bathroom at our house and I just sat down and read my patriarchal blessing.  It says that I will be a great teacher who will proclaim the gospel well. I got in my feels thinking what am I lacking to be this great teacher.  What do I need to change to become this great teacher.  So I said a prayer asking for help to know what to do.  Then we left and went with the golden investigator.  Now back to the story.  I was there with my Cheetos and coke thinking what do I do.  and the Spirit told me "Teach with authority, you are a representative of Jesus Christ, you know this is true so do not be afraid.  The answer to my question came to my mind and in that moment, I set the Cheetos and coke on the ground, grabbed my bible, and just taught it all.  I have never in all of my mission, taught with such vigor and confidence.  To the point that I had truly showed them that salvation is personal, but we as people who are already saved need to go and help others become saved.  I explained it all.  And at the end, everyone was just sitting there staring and they all told me, "how beautiful is the doctrine of Christ".  Teaching with that authority, is the key to become that great teacher.  I wish I had learned it earlier but now I know, and now I will never be afraid to teach something ever again.  Our investigator understood it all because the Spirit was the teacher, not me.  A great moment.

Then with the same people just a few days later, we went back.  And this time the family reunion ended and it was just her and her daughter.  We got to talking and she told us about how that friend who challenged us really isn't her friend.  That he is basically stalking her and she doesn't know what to do.  He challenged us to basically try to run us away because he doesn't like that we are there with her.  I guess they were friends for like 6 years but for this past year, he has just gone crazy and now stalks her and doesn't leave her alone.  So she was like begging us to help her and I just don't know what to do in that moment.  I basically had to tell her that our job isn't to be a body guard but to help people spiritually but we recommended that she talks to the bishop so that he can get some other people involved.  And it all just made sense why when he is there, she like shuts down and doesn't want to talk to anyone and just looks really bored because she is trying to ignore him.  But that day that she told us about this, she was completely different.  So we have been praying a lot to help her know what to do but other than pray, there really isn't much that we can do.

This week was just great.  we are teaching a ton, finding a ton of people and just having fun here.

I love you all
Elder Garry

No comments:

Post a Comment